2006-04-18

They Suck, But They Have Fun While Sucking!

(Wait...that doesn't sound right.)
Anyway, I saw a Rakuten Eagles baseball game tonight. It was my first time in the stadium for a professional game (I saw our school's Boys' team play on Saturday where they won 8-2) and it was a ton of fun!

The group mentality of the Japanese people is once again verified during their sporting events. They have a chant and/ or a song for each player that is blissfully bellowed out upon their players arrival to the dugout. They harmoniously announce each player, cheering them on, accompanied by the rattling of megaphones and a hypnotic dance. I was happy to be assimilated into their collective and joined in the chorus as best as I could. Alas, my Canadian companion and myself were unsuccessful in convincing them to join us in a few Canuck chants ("Nah, Nah, Naaah, Nah--Nah, Nah, Naaah, Nah, Hey, He-ey, Good bye" when changing pitchers for example),
but we did get a few odd stares from our neighbours.

The game itself was undramatic. A close 1st inning was tied at one apiece but shortly thereafter the visiting team (Chiba's Lotte...last years pennant winner) took over and trounced us gleefully. The final score was 8-3 for the bad guys.

But who cares?!? It was a great time, a nice night (cool but with no breeze) and the first of many games I plan to attend.

Tomorrow, I hope to tell you about the seventh inning stretch. Now THAT is a sight to behold...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails