2006-07-21

I Can Can-Can, Can You?

I was feeling kind of bored, so I went for a walk around the school and I came across the Shodo club 書道部 (calligraphy). There were several students practicing away at their kanji so I decided to join them. After practicing the word for "Smile", I thought I'd try something more challenging and went and retrieved my HANKO (判子, personal seal).

{A hanko is something that all Japanese use frequently; for example, I "punch in" everyday by stamping my seal on a calendar OR you must have one to open a bank account or sign important documents. This hankers back to the days of yore when seals were set in wax to keep important papers from being compromised. These days, when you can buy a hanko at the 100¥ Shop, I don't see them as being all that secure.}

My personal hanko was designed by the vice-principal at my old school, Tokiwagi and he put a lot of thought into what kanji to use for MAI-KERU. He finally came up with 舞蹴 which means "high kick/ dance". And this is what I came up with:





When I came back, all the teachers were starting a box lunch (bento 弁当), and much to my surprise and chagrin, they were eating UNAGI!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails