2006-07-07

Snap, Crackle, Poop.

This morning, I taught my co-workers how to make "Rice Krispies Squares". (We're having a School Open House later this month, and they asked me for a recipe.) It is a sweet gooey concoction, consisting of Rice Krispies and marshmallows and my mom used to make them when I was a wee lad. It's pretty much a staple at Bake Sales and there are several variations (add chocolate, peanut butter, etc.) These days, I 'm sure a Canadian Bake sale would consist of a couple of Saltines and a dinner roll, since there are so many food allergies and dietary requirements of children. But I digress.

So I scammed a recipe off the net, and helped the Home Ec and an English teacher create our masterpiece. Unfortunately, the results weren't quite what I had expected. You see, though Rice Krispies are quite ubiquitous in North America, it's easier to Decode DaVinci, than to find a box in Japan. I went to my local "Foreign goods" store (Yamaya) and the closest I could approximate is a Box of Chocolate-flavoured Puffed Rice from EGYPT! So with a bag of mini-marshmallows, my Box of Choco-rice, a bit of butter and vanilla and we were off to the races.

We managed to make two trays worth and to me it looked like a horrid brown Mars' landscape. But I cut it up and served a little chunk to each of the 60 or so teachers. And much to my surprise, they gobbled it up and asked for seconds. The preferred batch was the sweeter one with more marshmallows.

Just to give you an idea of what the rice looked like, I made a little picture for you. I hope it does to your appetite, exactly what it does to mine.



(I swear that if you add enough sugar to actual Rabbit poop, you could sell it to the Japanese any day of the week!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails