2006-09-18

Scream and Scream Again.

Back in my University days, I studied all kinds of Psychology, Freud, Jung, Piaget, etc... One that intrigued me, but we never got into in great depth, was "Primal Scream" therapy by Dr. Arthur Janov. One of the fundamental principles of Primal Therapy remains that therapeutic progress can only be made through direct emotional experience, which allows access to the source of psychological pain in the lower brain and nervous system. Sounds pretty cool.

John Lennon went through Primal therapy in 1970, and shortly afterward produced his raw, emotional album, "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band". The album featured a number of songs which were directly inspired by his experience in therapy, including "Remember," "Isolation," "I Found Out", "God," "Mother," "My Mummy's Dead," and "Working Class Hero."


So tonight, I'm very excited to go see Primal Scream at Zepp Sendai. It'll be interesting to see how Japanese audiences react to Dr. Janov's methods and whether it translates well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails