2007-02-26

You May Already Be a Weiner!

Okay folks, let's see how well I did.

THE 2007 OSCAR WINNERS

Best picture

The Departed (winner)

Nailed it!

Best Director

Martin Scorsese, The Departed (winner) and (my choice)

Nailed it!

Best actor

Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond (my choice)

Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland (winner)

A worthy winner, I'm sure. He sure looks like Idi. (I wonder if he ate anyone's liver in preparation for the role?)

Best actress

Helen Mirren, The Queen (winner) (my choice)

Nailed it!

Best supporting actress

Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls (winner)

Rinko Kikuchi, Babel (my choice)

Predicted it, but it'd be nice to have seen an underdog win it.

Best supporting actor

Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine (winner)

Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls (my choice)

A rather shocking win, but it could be another of those trademarked "last good role before he dies and we've never awarded him a Lead Oscar".

Best foreign language film

El Laberinto del Fauno (aka Pan's Labyrinth), Mexico (my choice)

Das Leben der Anderen (aka The Lives of Others), Germany (winner)

Pan won big tonight in other categories, but not the one I suspected.

Best animated feature film

Cars (my choice)

Happy Feet (winner)

Hollywood likes their Dancing Penguins! I would like to have seen "Tales from Earthsea" nominated. (Bloody Penguins!)

Best adapted screenplay

Children of Men (my choice)

The Departed (winner)

Children of Men was a bit too bleak for Oscar. Besides Marty won big tonight, go for the sweep!

Best original screenplay

Letters from Iwo Jima (my choice)

Little Miss Sunshine (winner)

A nice pleasant, non-controversial choice.

Best original score

Babel (winner)

Notes on a Scandal (my choice)

I should have known, Uncut gave Babel a great review.

Best original song

I Need to Wake Up - An Inconvenient Truth (performed by Melissa Etheridge) (winner) (my choice)

Nailed it!

Best documentary feature

An Inconvenient Truth (winner) (my choice)

Nailed it!

Best documentary short subject

The Blood of Yingzhou District (winner) (my choice)

Nailed it!

Best visual effects

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (winner)

Superman Returns (my choice)

I must reiterate...He got shot in the eye, the EYE!!

Best cinematography

Children of Men (my choice)

Pan's Labyrinth (winner)

It looks lovely, so I'm sure it deserves it. (Maybe now they'll release it in Japan!)

Best art direction

Pan's Labyrinth (winner) (my choice)

Nailed it!

Best animated short film

The Danish Poet (winner)

No Time for Nuts (my choice)

Hey a Canadian won something!

Best action short film

Binta and the Great Idea (my choice)

West Bank Story (winner)

Because I know nothing about it, I don't feel so guilty. I'm curious how they did the "Sharks vs Jets" song.

Best costume design

Marie Antoinette (winner) (my choice)

Nailed it!

Best make-up

Click (my choice)

Pan's Labyrinth (winner)

It's no Hellboy, but Pan sure looks kooky!

Best sound mixing

Dreamgirls (winner)

You know what, I missed this category in my Oscar prediction. (Let's pretend that I chose "Dreamgirls". It'll be our secret.) Nailed it!

Sound editing

Letters from Iwo Jima (winner)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (my choice)

It figures. The only category where I didn't recommend Iwo Jima, it wins!

Best film editing

Babel (my choice)

The Departed (winner)

How much you wanna bet that Marty kept mixing up Marky Mark and Leo as that kid from "Growing Pains". His editors had to keep them straight for him.

Not a bad track record. "Nailed it" 8 times and predicted it a few more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nailing the Blood of the Yingzhou district is impressive. I didn't even know the Yingzhou district had any blood.
Kind of glad to see Pixar finally get their butts kicked, and right after their Disney deal. I only wish it had been by A Scanner Darkly. Did Scanner get any nominations at all? Robert Downey Jr. was hilarious!
I like Alan Arkin. His best line in Ed Scissorhands- "Edward, you can buy the necessities of life with cookies." I think I remember him doing some commercials in the early 90's for my favorite Beer Co. (Upper Canada) for free because he liked the beer so much.
ALEX

Michael Jones said...

Though 2 "animated" nominations were motion captured, I don't think the rules of this category will stretch to "A Scanner Darkly" yet.
As for Alan Arkin, I've liked him since "Catch 22". Glad to see him recognized and maybe it'll show Eddie Murphy to stop making crappy movies like "Norbit" if he expects the Academy to take him seriously! Of course, what's up with Peter O'Toole?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails