2007-05-02

Another One Rides the Bus.


It was a rainy morning, prompting me to stay at home and do housecleaning instead of heading south on a sightseeing tour. But around noonish, it cleared up a little, so I decided to go oot 'n aboot around Sendai on the "Loople Bus", so named I suspect because it loops around the city. My first stop was the Sendai Museum and they have on display, artifacts from the last few millennia.




















縄文時代 (Jomon jidae) pots.



















Some earthenware from the Jomon Period (10,000-2,500 years ago).


Forgive me if I don't recall who these guys are, but they all have animals on their heads.



This guy has a monkey on his head.

A portrait of 伊達 政宗 (Date Masamune), the founder of Sendai. Click here if you want to check out their family mausoleum (I didn't go there this trip.)

Some 浮世絵 (Ukiyoe) prints. This incredibly grotesque one depicts the murder of a newborn baby and above are the demons ready to take the kid away.

A wedding or something (sorry, I'm only guessing.) By the way, Ukiyo-e means "Pictures of the Floating World".

It's 歌舞伎 (Kabuki) time.

Deer at the end of a long folding door.
I'm a Dog wrt the Japanese Zodiac.
Part of a very long wall hanging.
A Dutch Galleon.
A centipede/millipede, you count the legs, I'm busy blogging.
Me in a Yamabushi tengu mask.

I'll leave you with this clear file that I picked up depicting two of the Gods.

I also picked up a booklet on Masamune and friends, I'll scan it for you one of these days.

Coming up next...The Site of Sendai Castle.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails