2007-11-11

Happy Poppy Day!


In Flanders Fields












In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

I don't need to add to the above, except to mention that when I was listening to the Leafs/Rangers and the Oilers/Flames games, they read the above accompanied by bagpipes. Too bad the Leafs lost in a Shootout, but the Oilers kicked the Flames collective butts.

"Just give me the aspirin. I already got a Purple Heart."
Bill Mauldin, Stars and Stripes (1944)


For Canada's southern neighbours who celebrate a Vet Day (veteran not veterinarian) as well, I recommend you check out Blogger-Bully's entry on the cartoonist, Bill Maudlin. To check out more info on Snoopy's Root Beer quaffing pal, check out Bill Maudlin.










By the way, in Japan, the Poppy is known as the けし (keshi) and there are several different colours and varieties, other than the red ones that the Royal Canadian Legion sells today.


I actually had a few uncles who died in WWII, but darned if I can remember their names. I'm not very good at paying tribute, am I?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails