2008-03-19

The Sentinel.


Science Fiction has lost another of its greats. Arthur C. Clarke has undergone his Childhood's End and will soon Rendezvous With Rama. The man who put the Science back in Science Fiction, Clarke will most likely be best remembered for co-authoring 2001: A Space Odyssey and its many prequels and sequels. The above linked books are the only ones I remember well, but I know I read several more as a youth.

Speaking of science, Sir Arthur was the conceiver of the communications satellite decades before it became a reality and geosynchronous orbits, which keep satellites in a fixed position relative to the ground, are thus called Clarke orbits.

To learn what you can do to carry on his legacy, might I suggest you head to his foundation and see what you can do.

For a tribute, I recommend:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails