2008-06-03

Raise the Rays.


Is there a better combination than Ray Harryhausen and Ray Bradbury? I can't think of one. I just watched the 50th anniversary edition of "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" and, you know, I don't think I'd ever seen it before. I recognize a lot of the footage from various Stop-Motion Animation tribute shows, but had I seen it all the way through? I think I would have remembered that. Hey, Lee Van Cleef saves the day!






One of the all time best beasties, our Rhedosaurus inspired Godzilla and a horde of other radiation-spawned creatures. An intriguing score by David Buttolph sets the tone and, though the dialogue is pretty stilted, when the Beast is on screen, its presence is pure magic.





If you get an opportunity to find the 50th anniversary edition, I highly recommend the interview with the aforementioned Rays for cool insight into their motivations as pioneers of their respective careers. It also confirms that a friendship can last for over 6 decades.








I need to find more of these Creature Double Features. They ROCK!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails