2008-10-23

Battle Royale With Cheese.





Okay, did you watch that? Now you have the basic premise for today's Halloweeny post. Andy and I watched バトル・ロワイアル together back in our Soma days and we were treated to a running commentary by a young pup named Jessie who was helping out at the school and had learned Japanese in High School. After about 20 minutes of his constant narration, we asked him to be quiet and we watched the gruesome proceedings with rapt attention.
(Aside: I've never met anyone who likes the sound of his own voice more than Jessie. Andy and I were really rather cruel to him, talking over his head and then giggling about it.)








But apart from that viewing, I have never seen it, so I'm not completely sure of the dialogue but the premise is brilliant. Sort of Lord of the Flies meets The Most Dangerous Game meets 1984 meets Fast Times at Ridgemont High. (Just kidding about the last one, but be sure to click that link to watch the 1932 film starring most of the King Kong crew!)



Thus since I'm no expert on the movie I'll just offer up some pics from the 2 movie programs I picked up for a buck a piece.

Starting off with a "Do your best" speech by Beat Takeshi, it quickly gets weirder and more and more violent.












Of course, all you Kill Bill fans will recognize Chiaki Kuriyama as Takako Chigusa. Though I've seen a few of the other faces pop up here and there, none ring a resounding bell.
































































If you're wondering where the cheese from the title comes from, I'd recommend BR II!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails