2010-03-08

A Nail In The Coffin.

I must say that I was a little off-kilter this year for I wrote off "The Hurt Locker" due to the controversy amassed by its producer and writer. (Oh, it would be oh so ironic should the Writer lose his lawsuit for plagiarism.) That being said, I nailed a few lost a few and couldn't care less about more than a few. As is my tradition the bold will be what I chose, the italics what I expected to be chosen and both is a double whammy. If there is nada, that's because I was way off base.

Winners for the 82nd Academy Awards

Actor in a Leading Role
Jeff Bridges in “Crazy Heart”
...Nailed it.

Actor in a Supporting Role
Christoph Waltz in “Inglorious Basterds”
...Doubly Nailed it.

Actress in a Leading Role
Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side”
...Not even close. I must admire Sandy for not only winning an Oscar and a Razzie but for collecting both awards.

Actress in a Supporting Role
Mo’Nique in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
...Not even close.

Animated Feature Film
Up” Pete Docter
...Nailed the Academy choice, I was hoping beyond hope that something else would win, but it might as well be renamed, "Best Pixar Film."

Art Direction
Avatar” Art Direction: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Kim Sinclair
...Nailed the Academy choice, not that it was tough to do so.

Cinematography
Avatar” Mauro Fiore
...Doubly Nailed it.

Costume Design
“The Young Victoria” Sandy Powell
...Not even close (yet I don't care too much about losing it.)

Directing
“The Hurt Locker” Kathryn Bigelow
...Not even close, but I guess since it was down to 2 movies, I should've chosen one of them.

Documentary (Feature)
The Cove” Louie Psihoyos and Fisher Stevens
...Doubly Nailed it and wait for it...We chose it on Porpoise!

Documentary (Short Subject)
“Music by Prudence” Roger Ross Williams and Elinor Burkett
...Not even close (yet I don't care too much about losing it.)

Film Editing
“The Hurt Locker” Bob Murawski and Chris Innis
...Not even close, though I expected Basterds to win something!

Foreign Language Film
“The Secret in Their Eyes (El Secreto de Sus Ojos)” Argentina
...Not even close (yet I don't care too much about losing it.)

Makeup
Star Trek” Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow
...I Nailed it, though they didn't have much to do. Like they haven't perfected Spock's ears by now.

Music (Original Score)
Up” Michael Giacchino
I Nailed it, though it should also have won for "Longest Japanese Title":
カールおじさんの動画検索結果

Music (Original Song)
“The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)” from “Crazy Heart” Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett
...Not even close, I failed to follow the old axiom, Oscar loves Country Music.

Best Picture
“The Hurt Locker” Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Nicolas Chartier and Greg Shapiro, Producers
...Not even close, but I guess since it was down to 2 movies, I should've chosen one of them.

Short Film (Animated)
“Logorama” Nicolas Schmerkin
...Not even close, but how could they snub Aardman?

Short Film (Live Action)
“The New Tenants” Joachim Back and Tivi Magnusson
...Not even close (yet I don't care too much about losing it.)

Sound Editing
“The Hurt Locker” Paul N.J. Ottosson
...Not even close, though I'm a tad surprised.

Sound Mixing
“The Hurt Locker” Paul N.J. Ottosson and Ray Beckett
...Not even close, though I'm a tad surprised.

Visual Effects
Avatar” Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew R. Jones
Doubly Nailed it, but not that difficult to do so.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher
...Nailed the Academy choice though I doubt if any of them have ever read it. At least "Up" had pictures.

Writing (Original Screenplay)
“The Hurt Locker” Written by Mark Boal
...Not even close, though I'm a tad surprised but as I said above, I hope it gets nailed for plagiarism.

Overall, a pretty poor prognostication. I'll give myself 3 points for Doubly Nailing it, 2 points for Solo Nailing it and 1 point for Academy's choice. That makes my total:
21/72 which is about 29%, I don't know how that compares with previous years, but I must say, it's pretty pitiful.
No comment on the Ceremony, I haven't seen any of it. I'll surf around for goodies tomorrow.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails