2010-06-04

Crash Of The Titans.

In a moment of weakness, I broke down in order to watch the apparent travesty whose name is
タイタンの戦い Taitan no Tatakai= Battle of the Titans) but as much as I wanted to dislike it, I ended up enjoying myself. Liam Neeson tried to outham Sir Lawrence Olivier and did so in spades but the rest of the cast were adequate (including the ubiquitous Gemma!)

Otherwise, there was a lot to like. The giant scorpions, Pegasus, Medusa weren't overly CGIed though I was slightly disappointed in the Kraken** (I am used to Kraken as in rhymes with waken so I couldn't take it seriously until it started crackin' after seeing Medusa-har har. Also see below...) To me, it looked a bit too much like Orga from Godzilla Millenium!






Anyway, let's take another look at my copy of Starlog with several pics from the 1982 original including an interview with Ray Harryhausen!






















**The Kraken by Tennyson

Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides; above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumber'd and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages, and will lie
Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

This poem was influential in one of my favourite John Wyndham books, The Kraken Wakes. I would love to reread that someday!

Next week I can finally get to see Ironman 2. Here's a preview...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails