2010-06-11

Gyaos, Jiger and Gamera, Oh My!


I got 3/5 of this 1999 set at a Flea Market a few years back and shoved it in a box only to rediscover it this week. Man, I wish I'd taken a closer look at it earlier and I would have tried to track down the other 2/5. Each one came in a little box with a mini-card and though there are only 15 figures, there are at least 39 cards for that is the highest # I'd achieved.
















That was Gamera from 1965 but, alas, I missed out on his figure....be sure to check out this groovy song to go along with the bad dubbing:



You know what would make a terrific GAP ad? How about: 大巨獣ガッパ (Daikyojū Gappa) also known as Gappa the Triphibian Monster or Monster from a Prehistoric Planet which you can watch in it's entirety here...



Ou-la-la it's 宇宙大怪獣ギララ, (Uchū Daikaijū Girara or Guilala) better known as The X from Outer Space along with his luminescent twin brother!



Who remembers when he attacked the G8 summit recently?



Figure #4 is this creepy golem-esque statue from
大魔神 (Dai Majin) which I saw bits of at 3:00am one insomniac night and haven't seen since.
Check out the trailer for the first of three movies!




I was successful in obtaining Gamera from 1967 where he fought Gyaos which you can catch here:



ガメラ対宇宙怪獣バイラス (Gamera tai Uchu Kaijū Bairasu or Gamera Versus Space Monster Viras, released in the U.S. as Destroy All Planets) is the fourth entry in the original Gamera film series. Watch the trailer if you dare for it has a really annoying theme song!



In ガメラ対大悪獣ギロン (Gamera tai Daiakaijū Giron, or Gamera vs. Devil Monster Guiron, released in the U.S. as Attack of the Monsters in 1969), we don't get the awesome blade-headed Guiron but rather we get one of the antennaed brain-eating space women known as フローベラ (Florabela?)



I think I earlier obtained this one independently of the others when I lived in Tokyo. It's not Mick Jagger but rather Jiger from ガメラ対大魔獣ジャイガー (Gamera tai Daimajū Jaigā or Gamera versus Giant Demon Beast Jiger, released in the U.S. as Gamera vs. Monster X). I've always liked the look of him, though I often mix him up with Baragon. Beware another hideous song...



Last but not least is ガメラ対深海怪獣ジグラ (Gamera tai Shinkai Kaijū Jigura or Gamera versus Deep Sea Monster Zigra) is a 1971 film featuring Gamera vs. Zigra who resembles a goblin shark. Enjoy...



oops, here it is:



I missed out on the rest of the series thus you do too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails