2012-02-27

Getting Nailed!

The results have been tallied and shall we see how well I did? Similar to previous years, I'll give myself 2 points for my desired movie, 1 point for the predicted Academy movie and 3 points for doubly nailing it.

Best Picture:
"The Artist"
Way off on this one. Neither Hugo nor The Help came through. I should have wimped out and joined Bafta, Golden Globes, etc.

Best Director:
Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
I missed out on Hugo, but guessed right for the Academy. Semi-nailed it: 1 point.

Best Actor:
Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
I didn't see this one coming. Neither my Gary Oldman nor their Brad Pitt (wishful thinking) came close.

Best Actress:
Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Doubly nailed it! 3 points!

Best Supporting Actor:
Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
Doubly nailed it! 3 points!

Best Supporting Actress:
Octavia Spencer, "The Help"
My pipe dream of Melissa McCarthy was not to be but I get 1 point for the Academic pick.

Best Original Screenplay:
"Midnight in Paris" - Woody Allen
Missed out on the Academy's Separation, but I nailed it: 2 points!

Best Adapted Screenplay:
"The Descendants" – Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, and Jim Rash
Never even heard of this one.

Best Animated Feature:
"Rango"
Slam dunk! 3 points!

Best Foreign Language Film:
"A Separation" (Iran)
No Canadian content here. I did get the Academy pick: Foul shot, 1 point.

Best Documentary Feature:
"Undefeated"
Not even near the basket.

Best Cinematography:
"Hugo" – Robert Richardson
I get 2 points for my pick, looks like War Horse is still in the barn.
It opens next week. I hope to see it then...









Best Film Editing:
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" – Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter
Woohoo! I missed Hugo but landed a point by the Academy.

Best Art Direction:
"Hugo" – Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schiavo
I dunked a two pointer but it looks like War Horse has fallen off the saddle.

Best Costume Design:
"The Artist" - Mark Bridges
Hey, I get two points on a lucky bounce, nada for Jane Eyre.

Best Original Score:
"The Artist" – Ludovic Bource
My Williams was washed aShore. No points.

Best Original Song:
"Man or Muppet" from The Muppets – Bret McKenzie
Surprisingly, they went with the suckier option! No points.

Best Sound Editing:
"Hugo" – Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty
My Drive stalled and the War Horse broke its leg. Nada.

Best Sound Mixing:
"Hugo"– Tom Fleischman and John Midgley
No Canadian content yet again for Moneyball and the War Horse is off to the glue factory.

Best Visual Effects:
"Hugo" – Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossmann, and Alex Henning
Big disappointment for Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Maybe the title was too long for the envelope. Hugo was just the right length: 1 point.

Best Makeup:
"The Iron Lady" – Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland
Just hoping Harry Potter and some fantasy makeup would get the nod but nope it goes to Thatchering up Meryl. Good for a point though!

Best Animated Short:
"The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore"
Neither Canadian movie (Dimanche nor Wild Life) came through. Never heard of the winner, no points.

Best Live Action Short:
"The Shore"
I went for Time Freak but got a lucky tip off from the Academy. 1 point.

Best Documentary Short:
"Saving Face"
My biggest letdown is that Tsunami and the Cherry Blossoms missed the net. Yeah, acid in the face is important but so are the thousands of tsunami victims!

What's my tally? 24/74 (74=22X3+9-1, plus nine for best pictures minus one for only two songs) which based on my wacky scoring method, means I got just one more point than last year. If I just go by how many movies where I got at least a point, I correctly chose 13/23. Not too shabby.

Now I can't wait for the Golden Raspberries!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails