2012-10-11

Let's Be Frank.

While in Shiogama, I popped into a little bookstore for the first time in ages. There wasn't much on the shelves worth buying and then I espied this little character. I didn't have my glasses so I couldn't get a good look at it, but it seemed to be Frankenstein cradling a baby. I picked it up and 4 similar characters on spec and took them to the counter while I continued browsing. When it came time to purchase the items, the proprietor had discounted each figure by 50%! Score!

I googled the only word I could read, ハッチャン (Ha-chan) and it turns out to be Android 8 from the Dragon Ball Z series. The guy discounted them because they were the sepia-toned versions and not colourful. I'll have to keep an eye out for the colourized ones! So here's Frankie Ha-chan cradling an infant Dragon Ball, An announcer that resembles Droopy, a turtle-shelled old man, Dragon Ball and a little guy , and another Dragon Ball (?) holding a monkey? Sorry, I'm not up on my DBZ mythos.








Chapter 1, part 2 showcases several different kinds of Yokai from around the world. I recognize a Cyclops,a vampire, a witch, a werewolf, a fairy and a few ghosts. Not sure about the Goblins and other Ogres nor where they hail from. Nice picture though!



Part 3 talks about Yokai Style. I tried deciphering the Japanese and didn't get too far. Again, another nice pic with a rather odd bunch of characters.


More Yokai action tomorrow!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails