2013-11-29

Bamboobies.

I just returned from seeing Kaguya Hime no Monagatori and my initial thought was Beautiful but Boring. It is stunningly lovely with extremely lush colours and intriguing visuals ranging from simplistic to complex scenes within a single frame. The soundtrack is also amazing with lots of classical Japanese music throughout, some cute kids' tunes and a wonderful song during the end credits.

 Unless you are a fan of animation (which I am), a lover of Japanese Folk Tales (which I am) or love stories (which I'm not), you won't find this movie very exciting. It is very long which will keep the kiddies from remaining still for 2 1/2 hours. There is almost NO action whatsoever except for one pheasant chase, a few dream sequences and a cool battle between a warrior and a dragon at sea. BUT IT IS BEAUTIFUL and that is enough to keep me captivated throughout.

If and when it gets transported to America (I think Canada will be more forgiving), there will have to be some editing to put diapers on the kiddies and there is one scene of spontaneous lactation and breast-feeding (hence this post's title.) They'll need a darn good translator for (North) American to understand what's going on for it is a very complex storyline for a fairy tale and my friend, Yvonne, who is quite fluent in Japanese had a hard time following some of the archaic Japanese used. (You'd be advised to check a previous post of mine to get some history of the story.) Guys will get dragged to it by their spouses and hate it, ladies will love it and kids will be bored to tears.

I guess though that I am not exactly the target audience for this movie. I'm not sure who is the target for there were only 5 other people in the theatre and we saw it on the biggest screen in the Rifu Cinema. Of the 5 gals there, four of them were in tears and one was sobbing throughout the end of the movie and even in the lobby afterwards. And these were young ladies in their early 20s so I guess that is who the target audience is.

In summation, don't let me dissuade you from seeing it, it is Beautiful but be forewarned, it is also Boring. Of course that didn't stop me from buying a pair of Clear-files and a pen.




I have a few more Ghibli goodies to show off and I'll do so another time...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails