2013-11-25

The Drums Are Calling.

I was lucky enough to be invited to a semi-private Drum Cafe event last night and got to beat some bongos.
I was greeted by one of Sendai's more famous dishes, the かまぼこ kamaboko. Surprisingly, this guy wore the costume throughout the entire evening. I don't mind fish cakes, but not the sweaty ones.


The dinner was fine, though not very well organized. The appetizers were set out but people were putting 2 or 3 or sometimes 5! of each on their plate thus some had to go without! Do the math people...and maybe everyone will get some. So I got some salad...Yum.

Then we began to drum! Cool setup, everyone gets their own private taiko and the Drum Cafe dudes lead the way.





I know that video didn't reveal too much but, believe me, it's a ton of fun. Here are some of the members of the troupe and some of the guests. This is the main organizer of the gigs (Mariko) as well as the lead drummer. I last met him at an 89ers Basketball game.







There was a draw and I won a Princettia (some kind of gay Poinsettia, I suppose.) I am notoriously bad at keeping plants alive, so this one will be given to a friend.


At the end of the evening the guys did an encore and everyone got in on the revelry. Woohoo!



What was my favourite part of the night though? I got my own private cheer!




A good time was had by all...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails