2014-05-13

Giger Counter.

Sad to report that H.R. Giger has passed on. Ever since Alien, I started collecting whatever books that were put out regarding H.R. and they're still stowed away in a locker in Toronto (doesn't do me much good for this post.)

Without digging through any boxes, I glanced around my room looking for some Alien paraphernalia and this is what I came up with...






I also have a copy of the pamphlet that came with the movie way back in '79! Here are the Giger-centric photos including a page all about his production notes.










There are several other movie moments that include Giger's work and they can be found here.
If I get around to it, I need to watch Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis for it includes a depiction of Giger's vision of a Buddhist god, Goho Dohji. I wish I could find a subtitled version.



One of my favourite memories of Alien was back in the early 80s when I worked as a security guard in a precious metals factory. I was reading the novelization (Alan Dean Foster?) and while patrolling the catacombs of the plant, I started getting paranoid that the eponymous xenomorph was lurking around every corner.

CONTEST!!!
I haven't done this in a while but I just happen to have THREE extra copies of the above pamphlet and I'm willing to mail it to the first three people to tell me their favourite Alien story. Offer only good for readers outside of Japan. Those who live here can track it down themselves.
Warning: I'm a little broke right now, so it might take me some time to get it to you and I'm notoriously bad at NOT following through on my contest winners. (I really have to rectify that someday.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails