2014-11-27

Cowtow To Koto.

I had an opportunity to listen to some Koto playing today when an expert came and showed off her art to my 6th Graders. Last time I heard Koto was several years ago and I wasn't impressed.  To hear a bunch of 12 year-olds plucking away at random didn't endear me to it much further. One or two boys really stood out though and caught on quickly.


I hummed, "Duh, duh, duuuh. Duh, duh da duuuh. Duh, duh duuuuuh, duh, duh." Hoping a kid would pick up on it but no one started playing it. The vice principal came over and said, "Smoke On the Water! I love it!"

I gained a better appreciation when I had the opportunity to play myself. I managed to pluck out a recognizable version of Sakura.

 Not unlike this, but I didn't wear a kimono.



A few kids got to learn how to play a Banjo Shamisen, but I never got the chance.

ps. Happy Thanksgiving to vast American readership!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails