2015-10-12

Beware The Chupacabra!

Since I didn't grow up in Central America, I was unfamiliar with the legend of El Chupacabra until I saw the X-Files episode, El Mundo Gira. As portrayed in this picture, the razor spikes and tendency to chow down on goats is what makes this cryptid so popular.


Here's a snippet from the aforementioned X-Files episode, your typical Monster of the Week show.



Not such a cute portrayal is it?

Japan's version is of course far cuter and is less canine and more chiropteran. The J-Poppers, Arc de Ciel, spawned the group, Hyde, which spawned VAMPS who popularized the Vampiric Chupacabra.  I'm having a hard time finding an actual song with the Chupa, maybe you'll have better luck.



Ah, that's better. Here is Hyde's Halloween Party:



My first introduction to the Chupacabra was via UFO Catcher and of course, I had to win one or two. Initial attempts were wrought with naught but I eventually nabbed one ready to suck your goat's blood and one having a nap.


The next time I saw them was in a smaller version that also came with a terrified goat!



You can buy some Chupa-goods at the Vamprose Store. You can also check out the Vamps group and dozens other at a massive Halloween Party.

Fortunately, my hunt for the elusive Chupacabra was not in vain for it can be found in various guises. Two  pirate versions, one holding a pumpkin, a hipster and appropriately enough, a vampire.





Since Halloween is almost over (when it comes to merchandising, that is), the Santa -version is not far away!

I have a couple of doubles of the smaller ones and if you ask really nicely, I might send you one. Unfortunately, I'm a little strapped for cash of late, so you may have to wait a while.





4 comments:

Greycat said...

Thank you for this post! I'm totally in love with lil Chupa & the plushies! I doodle the character constantly haha How did you come by your plushies? I've been trying to get a hold of some myself but have yet to manage to :/

Michael Jones said...

I grab them via UFO Catcher.
I have a couple of doubles I could send you...

Greycat said...

<3 !! I would love that!!! I'd be happy to pay for shipping :D

Greycat said...

I got to thinking if you want to discuss how to arrange all of that, my email address is morbid_muppet@yahoo.com
:D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails