2016-06-13

Ishinomaki no Ishinomori.

On Saturday, I visited the Mangattan Museum in Ishinomaki, a place I haven't visited since before the terrible tsunami of 3/11/11. The last time I was there, I had much more time to explore, this time I was pressed for time so you can click that link for details. The museum features artwork by the King of Manga, Shotaro Ishinomori, creator of Kamen Rider, Cyborg 009, Kikaider and dozens other characters. A fellow Sendaiian has written more about the Museum here.



 
Photos aren't permitted in the main hall or display rooms but there were several photo ops elsewhere. I started off the day on the third floor in the cafe and enjoyed an ice cream cone. It hit the spot.

  Princess Kuragehime goods on display.
 I have most of the Cyborg 009 figures below (somewhere).
I don't have these...

Also on the third floor is a vast manga library in which one can peruse volumes of their favourite tome. I discovered a Godzilla Art Book I've never seen before. I'll be on the lookout for it.


The elevator is character-themed, as are the vending machines.


 A portrait of Shotarou...
 And his house.

 Murals on the walls...


 A benchmark character (sorry, no selfie-stick.)



Outside is a very cool looking car!


There are several statues of characters throughout the building as well.




My personal highlight is a pic taken with one of the cosplaying staff.


There was a special display of the work of Akiko Higashimura, creator of Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish!) and other stuff. Alas I was unable to take photos yet I was given a postcard showcasing her characters and bought a Clear File as well.



I grabbed a few more clear files and some magnet sets (Hint: don't buy the magnets at the conbini, they are cheaper in the museum), as well as a Gatcha-mini painting and a nice little bag to carry my loot.




(There was a kiddie-friendly little movie about Sea Jetter Kaito, it was nice to take a load off and sit for 15 minutes.)


 


In the future, I'll need to check out some of these upcoming events and perhaps visit his Memorial Museum.

As you wander throughout the city, one can see several statues of Ishinomori's creations. Here are several.

















Even the manhole covers are cool!



There is graffiti and artwork everywhere!









Every lamppost has a different character banner.


Even the Postboxes are unique.



I highly recommend a visit to this city and all it has to offer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails