2017-07-10

Oni-gaishimasu.

I was up north after a wedding last Saturday so I decided to drive an extra hour north to Kitakami and return to the Oni Museum. Not much had changed except for my phone/camera which had taken far superior photos than my previous visits. First some of the cool little statues with a cool background.

 

One thing I'd never photographed before were the paintings on the walls. First the quadriptychs.









Each of the above had a few more paintings above or below them. Some are rather grotesque.

















I don't recall seeing much English in the captions in the past. Here is a bit about the Mexican Masks.




Cousin Itt looks badass!



What follows is a Namahage called the Suneka.


Some traditional costumes.


Creation of the kanji for Oni.




Some homemade masks.


If Anpanman were a demon.





These homemade masks are also pretty cool. I particularly like the Krampus!




A pretty good likeness.


Some GeGeGe Goodies:


 Puzzles!





Monkeys battling Namazu the Earthshaker!
 


Someday, I may pick up some of these badges.


See you again someday, Oni Museum!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails