2017-09-11

All What Jazz?

This last weekend was the 27th Jozenji Jazz Festival, an event that I have been attending for as long as I've been in Sendai. Here is some info in English about the festival but you'll have to click the Japanese link at top to get any pertinent info.
I really like the poster to this year's gala and fortunately, they were selling Clear Files of that very poster.


There is just SO much going on there, you'll need to click it to experience it. Other goodies include a couple of towels and a t-shirt.



I snapped a pic of the back of this guy's shirt, much to the bemusement of his coworkers.


As for the music, my biggest complaint is always its complete lack of actual Jazz, yet this time around, I actually got to hear some. Eventually.

Here was a big band playing Ghibli tunes.
(Please note, in the past, I kept track of the names of the performers but as they chose to NOT display a list of those playing at each stage, therefore it would entail me putting on my glasses, shuffling through the program, and deciphering the Japanese. Too much hassle!)


Some teeny bopper rockers at the J:COM stage with the incredibly large logo.


A duet consisting of flute and drums.


Still no true jazz, I popped into Mitsokoshi Department Store to see the entertainment within. Nope, no performers, but a cool banner.


The best place to actually hear any jazz is to stroll along Jozenji Street. Alas, 'tis rather crowded, so all I could do was snap their backs.


While I listened to some Big Band play rock tunes, I snapped a silhouette of myself and started my first drink of the day.


As was par for course for the day, I managed to traipse into a location (inside Mediatheque) and catch the last tune of the set.


In this case, it was a mimicker of Louis and A Wonderful World.


Moving along to the beginning of Jozenji near Nishi Park, I enjoyed a few guys kicking back with some jazzy riffs. I sat on a nearby bench and finished my Kiwi drink.

As I entered Nishi Park, I was surprised to not hear any Gospel singers warbling away to the soundtrack of Sister Act, rather some bands playing old standards.


Much to my surprise, there were not any of the usual International tunes from around the world, just several all-Japanese acts. They were good, just not very Ethnic.



I decided to leave when they played "Tie a Yellow Ribbon".


Another major complaint about this year, NO FLEA MARKET! I usually rummaged through the rubbish and came up with a few tidbits. This year, just a string of trendy upscale cupcake or tea booths. As you can see, it was not well-attended.


Okay, back to the main drag and my second drink of the day.


A meet-up with buddy Mike and we wandered through Kododai and the main stage. Very crowded as usual and not that great. So we grabbed a mini slice of pizza and a Coke.



Across the street to the Bluesy bands below the fountain.


Now that I had my photographer in tow, I could get my Apple HiBall and have my picture taken with the Jim Beam gal! She looks thrilled!

   

For the next hour or so I sat on the rocks and listened to the Blues.


Or wandered to the mini-stage.


Around 5, I head over to Nishi Park to hear Tiina Kariina and bird. Unfortunately, my phone was down to 7% and it was extremely crowded, so I didn't get any photos. Mike met up with me again and if he sends me some of the pics he took, I'll share them below.


Here's a bit of Tiina:



And a bit of bird:



What with my phone down to 1% and since bird decided to talk for five minutes after each tune, I called it quits. It turns out that had I head back to Kotodai, the party was in full swing with some Doobie Brothers tribute band.
Ah well, maybe I'll have more to write about Sunday's extravaganza.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails